Welcome

Merry Meet, all. Hummingbird, here. 21-year-old eclectic Pagan and witch who works primarily in crystal, warding, and energy magicks. Asexual, with a wonderful girlfriend. I am just beginning to learn the path of Athena. Attending college with end goal of a degree in Interior Design.

This blog is a digitalized record of my life as a Pagan. It includes spells, charms, notes on the properties of various magickal items, and my own personal experiences with my practice. Sometimes I post multiple times a day, sometimes it's once a month.

All are welcome here. Please, make yourself at home, and let me know if I can help you with anything. )0(

Tuesday

January 10th, 2012

I can't decide if it's simply that my room gets enough light and is at the right temperature, or if they just like the energy in here, but my Amaryllis and Nick's Paperwhites (which he's keeping in my room) have been growing like gangbusters! Both plants have positively doubled in size over the past week, and, though still small, are a lovely shade of green that makes me smile every time I look their way. Sometimes I swear the little guys grow noticeably just while I'm school!


Nick's Paperwhites.

And my Amaryllis! It's so nice to have living things in my room; I have a bunch of silk flowers, but this will be my first time having live plants. Since I shared a bit of etymology about the name and magickal usage of the Amaryllis the other day, today I will share some Paperwhite info. It's always good to know your plants, after all, particularly when they're residing in one's bedroom! The Paperwhite is the most popular kind of Narcissus flower, and is in the same family as the Daffodil and Jonquil (they are still separate species, however!). The name "Narcissus" comes of course from the Narcissus of Greek legend, who, after his death, was turned into a Daffodil by Apollo. The legend further says that Daffodils bloom in the afterlife. The Greek name for Daffodil is "Asphodelos", similar to the phrase "Asphodel Fields", where those who were neither good nor bad went after death. The Chinese believe that the blooming of any of the Narcissus, Daffodil, or Jonquil plants at New Year's ensures good luck throughout the next 12 months. These plants are used in magick as herbs of countermagick, protection, and purification. However, as with the Amaryllis, I highly suggest avoiding any type of ingestion of them, whether eaten or inhaled (don't burn them!) due to to toxins within the plant.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog posts are very informative! I like that you researched the plants you have growing :) An awesome book for herb/plant research is Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that one is very comprehensive, but unfortunately, our library doesn't have it. I did read one by him about crystal and gem magick a while back, and it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete