Welcome

Merry Meet, all. Hummingbird, here. 21-year-old eclectic Pagan and witch who works primarily in crystal, warding, and energy magicks. Asexual, with a wonderful girlfriend. I am just beginning to learn the path of Athena. Attending college with end goal of a degree in Interior Design.

This blog is a digitalized record of my life as a Pagan. It includes spells, charms, notes on the properties of various magickal items, and my own personal experiences with my practice. Sometimes I post multiple times a day, sometimes it's once a month.

All are welcome here. Please, make yourself at home, and let me know if I can help you with anything. )0(

Thursday

September 3rd, 2015

I actually finished this book last night after starting it Tuesday, but by then it was late and I was too tired to do a review.

The book, which I bought last Saturday at Gaia House's Omni Sale, is Florinda Donner's Being-in-Dreaming: An Initiation into the Sorcerer's World (©1992). I knew nothing about it when I purchased it, except that the back described it as being the autobiography of a woman initiated into a Mexican branch of sorcery.

Now that I have read it, I would propose that the book reads in a similar vein as works like Vladimir Nabokov's Speak Memory; it is neither a dry nor an encyclopediac account of Donner's experiences, but rather comes across as an extended memoir, describing her thoughts, feelings, and impressions, not only the facts of what occurred.

Donner describes how a new acquaintance, Delia, encouraged her to go see a Mexican healer about her intense, recurrent nightmares. From there, she met a group of men and women who professed to be sorcerers, and suggested that Donner had the natural talent for "dreaming-awake", a state of heightened awareness that gives the sorcerers their power. Over the course of many years, Donner repeatedly ran across members of the group, including the new nagual (leader), Isidoro Baltazar, with whom she fell in love. Nearer the book's conclusion, she describes how she finally committed to the sorcerer's path for herself, and how she was eventually initiated into the practice and lifestyle.

The book was definitely not what I had anticipated upon picking it up. In some ways, it felt like reading a fantasy novel, especially as the reader understands the context from Donner's outsider perspective. It is definitely not a comprehensive instruction in Mexican sorcery, nor does it particularly describe a way in which the layman could formally enter into such a tradition. That being said, I couldn't put it down. I will also say that because the book is similar to a memoir, certain chapters tend to skip ahead by months or years, which can be a little confusing, as this is not always clearly explained.

Otherwise, the imagery is delightful, the people involved intriguing, and the discussion extremely feminist. The philosophy of dreaming provides a thought-provoking and gripping core concept for the text. It was an absolutely fascinating read, and one which I would gladly recommend to anyone looking to learn about a magic(k)al system not based out of Western Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment