Welcome

Merry Meet, all. Hummingbird, here. 21-year-old eclectic Pagan and witch who works primarily in crystal, warding, and energy magicks. Asexual, with a wonderful girlfriend. I am just beginning to learn the path of Athena. Attending college with end goal of a degree in Interior Design.

This blog is a digitalized record of my life as a Pagan. It includes spells, charms, notes on the properties of various magickal items, and my own personal experiences with my practice. Sometimes I post multiple times a day, sometimes it's once a month.

All are welcome here. Please, make yourself at home, and let me know if I can help you with anything. )0(

Saturday

Camp Log: 6/20/15

(From Hummingbird’s logs, edited and transcribed 7/2/15)

Well, it started off as a nice morning. I woke up about the same time as yesterday, and found that it was warmer than it's been this whole trip; that is, I could go out with one sweater on rather than two. When I got out of the tent, grandpa was still trying to solve our water dilemma, but we found another full water bottle in the cooler bag, so that helped.

Out on the lake, the seagulls were calling, the pair of loons were diving for breakfast, and the eagle was sitting up in his tree across the lake.

We had been going to do pancakes for breakfast, but discovered that the brown sugar (for syrup) had somehow been left behind, so we decided to have them a different day and and ate oatmeal instead. I had the raisin date walnut again, with hot chocolate, almonds, and freeze dried berries.

That's me second from the left.
Right as we were finishing up breakfast, it started to rain. Unlike yesterday, it didn't stay just a sprinkle. Pretty soon, we were all huddled around the fire grate under the rainfly. When we went to boil water for dishes, we were able to just collect a bunch of rainwater, but we did have some difficulty getting the camp stove to light in the rain. We got it eventually, and Ben washed the dishes. I rinsed them in the water pouring off the rainfly, and mom put them away.

I then went to huddle in the tent and played Quiddler with everyone but mom. It was a bit damp in there, mostly from people tracking in water. My sleeping bag got wet, though, which was irritating.

We ate lunch not long after we finished our card game (which I won, incidentally). We had the usual - granola bars, carrot chips, peanut butter granola, dried coconut and pineapple, string cheese, peanut butter on bagels, crackers, fruit strips, and Twizzlers. It was still raining, though every once in a while, it would stop for a few minutes. Everyone was cold and varying degrees of miserable, so we opted to boil some more rain water for hot drinks. I went with another round of hot chocolate.

Dad decided to get a fire going in the grate, but I was sick of standing around trying to stay dry under the rainfly, so I went back in the tent. I found a couple of puddles pooling up in the corners, so I wiped them away as best I could. Then I moved all the sleeping bags over, because I was also tired of sleeping on top of a big, awkwardly shaped boulder and a pile of tree roots. I also wanted to sweep up all the cedar needles that people had tracked in, but mom thought I should wait until it dried more.

I snuggled for warmth in my sleeping bag, and ended up taking a nap of several hours (I've slept more on this trip than I have all year, I swear). It was around 6:00 when I woke up. By then, the rain had taken a respite, so I walked over to the lookout point, where dad had just had a perch slip his fishing line. Mom and Nick wanted to go around the island to get a better look at the weather, so I accompanied them. Nick turned just in time to see a wall of rain blowing our direction, so we ran back to camp. Ben and I piled in the tent, where we rode out the latest squall with my paraphrasing some Celtic legends for him.

When we got out after the rain, we made dinner plans. We decided to conserve dishes by using our cups from earlier to eat wild rice soup, and then make vanilla pudding. While the boys did the dishes, I tried to get the fire going again, but the wood was soaked so I gave it up as a lost cause. Instead, I refilled the water filter bag and got a towel and brush kit from mom. I was finally able to clean out the inside of the tent; it's so much better now, especially since it's also drier.

Headed to bed now!

No comments:

Post a Comment