Welcome

Merry Meet, all. Hummingbird, here. 21-year-old eclectic Pagan and witch who works primarily in crystal, warding, and energy magicks. Asexual, with a wonderful girlfriend. I am just beginning to learn the path of Athena. Attending college with end goal of a degree in Interior Design.

This blog is a digitalized record of my life as a Pagan. It includes spells, charms, notes on the properties of various magickal items, and my own personal experiences with my practice. Sometimes I post multiple times a day, sometimes it's once a month.

All are welcome here. Please, make yourself at home, and let me know if I can help you with anything. )0(

Tuesday

Camp Log: 6/16/15

(From Hummingbird’s logs, edited and transcribed 6/23/15)

We had the car packed and ready last night, so after a shower and breakfast at 6:00 this morning, we were on the road by 7:15. I finished reading the last 150 pages of my Celtic mythology text, and then spent the rest of the long drive alternating between napping and looking out the window.

It was about 9:00 or 10:00 when we crossed into Wisconsin, and at noon pulled off in Eau Claire for lunch. The boys went to Culver’s (after we found it), and mom and I went to Taco John’s. I had a burrito with a hard taco shell inside, along with beef, cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Then the two of us joined the boys at Culver’s, where we split a coconut chocolate almond custard.

It was 1:00 by the time we left Eau Claire. Ben spotted a turkey vulture, and Nick saw some sort of bird of prey, maybe a kestrel, catching a snack.

We entered Minnesota via Duluth (I didn’t care for the big bridges), and stopped briefly at an overlook of Lake Superior. It was another two and a half hours from Duluth to Tofte, and then about a half hour’s drive along a dirt and gravel road through The Superior National Forest before we got to the Sawbill Lake Outfitter’s and campsite.

Grandpa had arrived earlier in the afternoon and had already set up his tent and one of ours on sites 3 and 4. We got the food moved into waterproof packs and double checked our supplies. We also saw a chipmunk sitting by the cars.

Once everything was sorted, we walked over to the Outfitter. While grandpa took care of the permits, I looked around for anything my friends might like, but nothing really caught my eye. We watched the instructional video as per the usual (it basically explains the rules and regulations of the BWCAW), and then went back to camp for dinner.

On the drive up, we had stopped briefly in Two Harbors for some food – eggs from the supermarket, and then Subway sandwiches to bring along for later. I got roast beef, pepperjack cheese, tomato, green pepper, and cucumber on flatbread with a bit of honey mustard. I’d been wanting to try the flatbread for a while, and found it was quite tasty. I also had a small bottle of milk.

We pitched the bigger tent after dinner, and Nick, Ben, and I took that one. Mom and dad took the smaller tent, and grandpa is in his one-man tent on the next site over. I got all my things settled, changed into pajamas, and then went down the trail with the others to look at the sunset over the lake. It was a perfect night – a little buggy, but calm, and the water reflected the sky like a mirror. I introduced us to the spirits of the place, and asked for their blessings and permission to enter. I also left a small offering of my hair, since food and drink mostly shouldn’t be left out where wildlife might consume them. I spotted a turquoise crayfish claw lying in the sand right afterward.

We stayed and looked for some time, and now we are back at the tent. This campground has some bold red squirrels, mom saw a toad, and every so often, the call of a loon echoes over the lake. It will be cold tonight, but here’s to good weather tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment