Welcome

Merry Meet, all. Hummingbird, here. 21-year-old eclectic Pagan and witch who works primarily in crystal, warding, and energy magicks. Asexual, with a wonderful girlfriend. I am just beginning to learn the path of Athena. Attending college with end goal of a degree in Interior Design.

This blog is a digitalized record of my life as a Pagan. It includes spells, charms, notes on the properties of various magickal items, and my own personal experiences with my practice. Sometimes I post multiple times a day, sometimes it's once a month.

All are welcome here. Please, make yourself at home, and let me know if I can help you with anything. )0(

Friday

Camp Log: 6/19/15

(From Hummingbird’s logs, edited and transcribed 7/2/15)

This entry actually begins with a bit of an addition to last night. I woke up in the middle of the night, probably around 11:00 or 12:00 by my amateur estimation, and since I wasn't completely exhausted, I decided to get up and look at the stars. The boys had said previously that they would like to do the same, so I woke them up and crawled out of the tent.

It was a great night for it. The only clouds were very low over the horizon, so the sky was clear, and I could see hundreds of little pinpricks of light. I thought I saw a tiny shooting star, but it was hard to tell for sure with all the tree branches. I turned around and walked down to sit on a rock overlooking the lake, and right as I did so, a huge purplish shooting star blazed across the sky. I was so in awe that it took me a minute to remember to make a wish.

Over the lake, many of the stars were very bright, including the Big Dipper, which was the clearest I'd ever seen it. It was so bright, in fact, that I could see the reflection of it and some of the other stars in the water. It was chilly, so the boys and I didn't stay up real late, but it was gorgeous.

I slept in a little this morning (all the way to 6:45), so the others were mostly already awake. There was some fog rolling across the lake, but the sun was already high enough to have burned a lot of it off. I sat out on a rock watching the water foam up (along with watching pollen collect in the water), and then headed back to camp for breakfast. Grandpa toasted hot dog buns on his skillet, and then scrambled us two eggs apiece. We had it with hot chocolate (and SPAM, for the boys) - it was really excellent.

After breakfast, the adults prepped some things for a day trip, and the boys took me around to see some more things on the island. We saw the "fish graveyard", where someone/thing had left a bunch of Northern Pike skeletons. Those guys have a lot of teeth. I also found a black feather about the length of my forearm (eagle?), and stumbled across a pink ladyslipper orchid with three flowers on it. The boys had seen another one like it the other day, so they showed me that one as well. There were also some white pine seedlings, which Nick wanted to show grandpa.

Once everything was in order, we set out for our day trip. Nick and I were out on the water first, so we decided to investigate a big rock across the lake where the seagulls always sit. They got a bit agitated as we approached, but I was unsure if they were trying to dive-bomb us or some other nearby gulls. One settled on the water and floated around for a while. Ben and dad had to turn around to grab another pack, because they didn't have enough weight balancing the front of the canoe, but eventually they got it worked out.

We canoed out onto Hog Creek, but of course as we did so, the wind came up and was a pain, even though the creek was pretty sheltered. Ben tried fishing for a while but didn't catch anything. I was hoping to see some wildlife, but except for a few birds, there wasn't much out. We did try testing the ease with which one could paddle over the beaver dams going upstream, and it seemed pretty straightforward.

Eventually, people were tired and hungry, so we paddled back out on the lake to where we had eaten lunch on Wednesday. As a campsite, it was still nothing special, but it was out of the wind and sunny, so it was fine for a picnic. There were more butterflies, including Tiger Swallowtails, and some black ones I couldn't name. The chipmunk was back, this time with a friend (or rival); I named them Flotsam and Jetsam.

For lunch, I had my Tang, and then we passed around peanuts, bagels with peanut butter, carrot chips, granola bars, fruit strips, string cheese, dried apricots, cherries, and apples, and peanut butter granola. While we were eating, two locals paddled by who said our lunch site is actually one of the oldest campsites in the BWCAW, and that a log cabin used to be there.

By the time we finished eating, the wind had died down. dad decided to hang out at that campsite for a while longer, but I let myself get talked into canoeing some more. First we explored a little bay next to our lunch site, which had some reeds and lily pads. Then we went around the peninsula to another little creek beyond. This one had lots of lily pads at the beginning, and Nick thought he saw a turtle bobbing in the water. As we got farther in, there were more water weeds and grasses. We passed a beaver lodge, but no one seemed to be home. The creek dwindled out in a bunch of rocks we couldn't navigate in the canoes, so we turned around and went back to pick up dad. The others played musical canoes, but Nick and I just sat in our offshore and watched a chipmunk clambering over the rocks.

As we set out for the campsite, the wind - of course - decided to pick back up again. Nick and I were able to fight it, but it got to be a real struggle back near our island. We landed finally, and mom and dad did as well, but Ben and grandpa really had to work to get their canoe back to shore. Still, it was probably the least traumatic day trip I've ever been on.

I crawled into the tent pretty much right away to lay down and warm up a little. Mom joined me to read, and Ben also came in to mess around. I caught a bit of a nap, and when I woke up, it was just starting to sprinkle. I added some more layers and went out to help grandpa, dad, and Nick rig a fly over the fire pit to keep it dry. It only sprinkled on and off, and we were able to make dinner without any problems. We had shell pasta with a soupy cheese sauce, potato chips, and chocolate pudding. The water filter was working really slowly for some reason, so we tried rigging some pots to catch rainwater, but it was picking up so much pollen from the trees that it was undrinkable.

As we set up to do dishes, it started raining again, but the sun was out, so I ran over to one of the lookout rocks and could see a big rainbow stretching over the lake, its top hidden in the clouds. I went to go dry dishes, but went back over again later when it became a double rainbow, and then to see a pair of loons bobbing on the water.

Dad got a nice fire going in the grate, so we all sat around it and snuggled, swapping stories. Several hours later, the fire has burned down, and I'm ready now for bed. I wanted to get up to see the stars again, but it looks like it's going to be overcast, so that's a bust. Oh well. G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment