Welcome

Merry Meet, all. Hummingbird, here. 21-year-old eclectic Pagan and witch who works primarily in crystal, warding, and energy magicks. Asexual, with a wonderful girlfriend. I am just beginning to learn the path of Athena. Attending college with end goal of a degree in Interior Design.

This blog is a digitalized record of my life as a Pagan. It includes spells, charms, notes on the properties of various magickal items, and my own personal experiences with my practice. Sometimes I post multiple times a day, sometimes it's once a month.

All are welcome here. Please, make yourself at home, and let me know if I can help you with anything. )0(

Tuesday

June 16th, 2015

And we're off! My family and I are on our way to the Boundary Waters, where we will be camping for a week. We've only been on the road for three hours, and have many more before we arrive, so I have plenty of time to get some reading done. I've started off the day by finishing my book of Celtic mythology.

Title: The Mammoth Book of Celtic Myths and Legends
Author: Peter Berresford Ellis
©1999

I've spent around the last week reading this anthology, and have really enjoyed it. Ellis has a personal connection to the stories he relates, and he succeeds in capturing the original Pagan spirit of these tales better than in many interpretations.

The myths come from throughout the British Isles, with legends from:

  • Ireland
  • Isle of Man
  • Scotland
  • Wales
  • Cornwall
  • Brittany
The stories cover The Shining Ones, the gods of the Celts, and tells how they were eventually usurped and relegated to the role of the sidhe (shee), the fairy folk. They tell likewise of many heroes and quests, of ghosts and enchantments, of mermaids and sea-maids, and of castles and ancient forests.

I had never had the opportunity to read any of these stories previously. Some of them I had seen summarized, or heard referenced in songs, but it was great to finally be able to see the originals. I feel like it fleshed out a big gap in my understanding of western mythology, and would definitely recommend it.  

I'm going to try to not use up more of our data plan, so I will leave it at that, but have a great week everyone, and I'll see you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment