Welcome

Merry Meet, all. Hummingbird, here. 21-year-old eclectic Pagan and witch who works primarily in crystal, warding, and energy magicks. Asexual, with a wonderful girlfriend. I am just beginning to learn the path of Athena. Attending college with end goal of a degree in Interior Design.

This blog is a digitalized record of my life as a Pagan. It includes spells, charms, notes on the properties of various magickal items, and my own personal experiences with my practice. Sometimes I post multiple times a day, sometimes it's once a month.

All are welcome here. Please, make yourself at home, and let me know if I can help you with anything. )0(

Friday

January 25th, 2013

Good afternoon, one and all! I am inordinately happy that it is the weekend. This week was pretty jam-packed so a day or two of a breather is going to be great. I finished Judika Illes' Encyclopedia of Spirits the other day, and am so glad to own it. The sheer volume of material it contains is staggering, not only about the deities themselves, but also about how and when to honor them, what offerings they like, and some even had full rituals described. Next on my list-to-read is a book I bought a few weeks back: Scott Cunningham's The Magical Household. I also found a book about Hummingbird mythology at the library, and just had to bring it home. I was amused to find that one of the Aztec deities, Huitzilopochtli, discussed in Illes' book was also in the Hummingbird book I checked out.
~~~~~~~~~~
Huitzilopochtli, Aztec for "Hummingbird from the Left", is the lord of war and spirit of the sun. According to the book I checked out (Hummingbirds: Facts and Folklore from the Americas), the Aztecs were led in a battle against invaders by Huitzilopochtli, who was then killed, insomuch as a god can be. Afterwards, the Aztec warriors discovered their god had transformed into a Hummingbird. Thereafter, it was believed that Hummingbirds were the spirits of fallen warriors and were given great honor. Hummingbirds' long beaks are perceived as looking like weapons, and they are often fierce defenders of their mates and territory.


No comments:

Post a Comment