Welcome

Merry Meet, all. Hummingbird, here. 21-year-old eclectic Pagan and witch who works primarily in crystal, warding, and energy magicks. Asexual, with a wonderful girlfriend. I am just beginning to learn the path of Athena. Attending college with end goal of a degree in Interior Design.

This blog is a digitalized record of my life as a Pagan. It includes spells, charms, notes on the properties of various magickal items, and my own personal experiences with my practice. Sometimes I post multiple times a day, sometimes it's once a month.

All are welcome here. Please, make yourself at home, and let me know if I can help you with anything. )0(

Tuesday

August 11th, 2015

Oh look, it's my 400th post. I don't have anything particularly spectacular for the occasion, but it's been a productive morning. I spent several hours finishing off my weighted blanket this morning. Ta da!


It weighs about nine pounds, and I got my four little crystals in the corners for some extra soothing energy.

Then I sat and did some further research on Athena, and specifically Her festivals. I found some rather interesting information; first, that Her birthday is celebrated monthly on the third day. Of course, the Greeks followed the Attic calendar rather than our Gregorian one, and the Attic calendar corresponded to the lunar cycles, so the third day of their month actually falls two days after the new moon. For those working with Athena, a new moon ritual this day would be an appropriate way to honor Her. One could incorporate Her worship into an Esbat, or one could opt for a more Reconstructionist approach and honor her with a specifically Hellenic ritual format.

Personally, I think that for now at least, I will continue my Esbat ceremonies only on the full moon, and on Her festival I will give Her offerings in a format more traditionally Hellenic.

Athena also has the festival of Plynteria, which falls on the 22nd - 25th of Thargelion. The month of Thargelion begins on what we would today know as the first new moon of May, and may continue into June. Plynteria honored Her as Athena Polias, or Athena of the City. In this aspect, She is the protector of Athens. At this time, her temples were ritually cleaned, and it was recommended that one avoid new ventures as Athena was resting and would not be available to bless one's efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment