Welcome

Merry Meet, all. Hummingbird, here. 21-year-old eclectic Pagan and witch who works primarily in crystal, warding, and energy magicks. Asexual, with a wonderful girlfriend. I am just beginning to learn the path of Athena. Attending college with end goal of a degree in Interior Design.

This blog is a digitalized record of my life as a Pagan. It includes spells, charms, notes on the properties of various magickal items, and my own personal experiences with my practice. Sometimes I post multiple times a day, sometimes it's once a month.

All are welcome here. Please, make yourself at home, and let me know if I can help you with anything. )0(

Sunday

June 24th, 2012

I lead a busy life, even during the summer, and of course I had to immediately begin preparing for a second trip after our Niagara experience. Nick and I agreed months ago to go with some other teens from my parent's church to Indiana's Shades State Park, a trip which fell on the 21st to the 23rd. Church stuff aside, the yearly trip is actually quite nice, and includes camping and canoeing on the lovely Sugar Creek. This year, Indiana has been very dry, so the Creek was much lower than usual. Therefore, we were all very glad when it rained a bit on the 21st (the rain conveniently held off until we had all our tents set up). Once the rain stopped, we went on a hike through the forest. The trails run near or through the park's many ravines, which can make walking difficult when it is wet. This year, the stream beds were largely dry, so things were less challenging, although given the previous rain, the wooden stairs up and down the ravines were very slick. I fell twice, and would have tobogganed down the stairs if I hadn't grabbed the handrails.
The following day, we went canoeing. Because the Creek was low, we had to drag the canoe in many places, but we still got in plenty of paddling; my shoulders will be sore for several days. The shallow water did have its advantages: we could see all the fish in the Creek. There were thousands of tiny minnows, as well as bigger carp, bass, and some kind of gar or pike. Nick spotted a turtle (not to mention all the frogs and toads), and we spent probably 80% of the trip following a trio of herons, who would fly 50 feet or so, wait for us to catch up, and then fly on again. Nick laughed when I suggested that maybe they were leading us back to camp, but I don't think it was that ridiculous an idea; twice, the Creek split, and we couldn't tell which way to go. Both times, the herons flew the direction we needed to head, and we discovered later that the other fork just led to a blocked area. Perhaps it would have been passable on both sides if the water was higher, but that day, the herons definitely knew what they were doing. And according to Native American tradition, the heron is regarded as having good judgement, as well as being a source of wisdom. I think I was not as far off base as Nick may have believed. Later, we canoed past an entire flock of turkey vultures, saw some kingfishers, and discovered some cool fossils.
When we returned to camp, we roasted hot dog dinners and took another hike. It was strange - I had literally just told Nick that I'd like to see one of the park's white tailed deer when I looked up, and one was picking its way up the side of the hill.
We got back on Saturday. I'd wanted to stay longer, as the park sported a few posters advertising a party that was to be held in honor of the park's 60-year anniversary, complete with Native American music and drum circle. Unfortunately, we had a schedule to keep, so sticking around wasn't possible. Since my return, I've largely been focusing on re-reading some old favorites and doing summer homework. I couldn't be more thankful for this opportunity to see some of the goddess' finest natural beauty. Have you gone on any exciting vacations this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment