Welcome

Merry Meet, all. Hummingbird, here. 21-year-old eclectic Pagan and witch who works primarily in crystal, warding, and energy magicks. Asexual, with a wonderful girlfriend. I am just beginning to learn the path of Athena. Attending college with end goal of a degree in Interior Design.

This blog is a digitalized record of my life as a Pagan. It includes spells, charms, notes on the properties of various magickal items, and my own personal experiences with my practice. Sometimes I post multiple times a day, sometimes it's once a month.

All are welcome here. Please, make yourself at home, and let me know if I can help you with anything. )0(

Monday

June 10th, 2013

Would you believe it if I said I've done almost nothing but read since school got out last Monday? It's true - I've gone through eight and a half books so far. All of these have been non-Pagan in nature, but don't worry - I have probably 20 metaphysical books that I have yet to read as well.
Before school finished, my brother apparently knocked a chip off of a piece of science-class Obsidian and was allowed to bring it home. Since he knows I love rocks, he let me have the piece. I've been meaning to post about it for a while, and just fought off the procrastination bug. 

Obsidian
 
 
Physical Characteristics: Obsidian is a naturally occurring glass, though for the sake of simplicity, I will use the word "stone" in the following descriptions. Most varieties are black.

In Nature: This glass forms when felsic lava cools very rapidly without much crystalization, forming an extrusive (above ground) igneous "rock".

Chemical Composition: SiO2 + MgO + Fe3O4

Mohs Scale Hardness: 5 - 6 (middle)

Can be Found: Argentina, Canada, Chile, Greece, Iceland, Japan, Mexico, Scotland, the USA, etc.

Healing Properties*: Obsidian alleviates pain, reduces tension, and accelerates the closing of wounds. It helps with ailments of the stomach and intestine, and cleanses the liver of toxins. The stone is especially beneficial for people living with environmental pollutants.

Magickal Properties: This stone deals extensively with the transformation of energy. It can, for example, release pent-up energy, or turn negativity into positivity. Furthermore, it may be employed in ritual to ground and center, and to clear the subconscious of blockages, as Obsidian is symbolic of the entrance to the labyrinth. Black Obsidian is a highly protective stone warding off abuse and psychic attack. Additionally, it helps one manage bad habits and cravings. Use Obsidian to face both present challenges and those left over from previous lifetimes. When working with one's karma and the like, one ought to pair Obsidian with its opposite, Clear Quartz, for balance.

Chakra Association: The First (Root) and Sixth (Third Eye) Chakras

Element: Fire

Energy: Projective

Planetary Association: Saturn

*Magickal healing should never take the place of seeing a doctor and following any recommended prescriptions, actions, or other advice. Magick works best in tandem with physical efforts, anyway, so don't skimp on those check-ups!

No comments:

Post a Comment