Welcome

Merry Meet, all. Hummingbird, here. 21-year-old eclectic Pagan and witch who works primarily in crystal, warding, and energy magicks. Asexual, with a wonderful girlfriend. I am just beginning to learn the path of Athena. Attending college with end goal of a degree in Interior Design.

This blog is a digitalized record of my life as a Pagan. It includes spells, charms, notes on the properties of various magickal items, and my own personal experiences with my practice. Sometimes I post multiple times a day, sometimes it's once a month.

All are welcome here. Please, make yourself at home, and let me know if I can help you with anything. )0(

Sunday

A Familiar Face...

Usually when I go to or from school, it's by train. Chicago Union Station, a Neoclassically-detailed building, with representations of Greek figures throughout, contains a statue of particular interest to me in the Great Hall. 


The Union Station website claims that this statue, a woman holding an owl, is meant to represent night, while the man on the column next to her holds a rooster, and represents day. They argue that this is meant to stand for the 24-hour nature of railroad transportation.

While I do not doubt that that was their intention, the Greek goddess of night, Nyx, is not associated with an owl. The only goddess I am aware of tied iconographically to the owl is Athena, of whom Owl Faced One is even an epithet.

Whatever the case, I find it comforting to pass through Her gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment