Welcome

Merry Meet, all. Hummingbird, here. 21-year-old eclectic Pagan and witch who works primarily in crystal, warding, and energy magicks. Asexual, with a wonderful girlfriend. I am just beginning to learn the path of Athena. Attending college with end goal of a degree in Interior Design.

This blog is a digitalized record of my life as a Pagan. It includes spells, charms, notes on the properties of various magickal items, and my own personal experiences with my practice. Sometimes I post multiple times a day, sometimes it's once a month.

All are welcome here. Please, make yourself at home, and let me know if I can help you with anything. )0(

Saturday

August 27th, 2016

It's been a pretty good week back at school. I like all my classes and professors so far, which is a plus. As usual, it's been hectic, but I'm hoping to take some time this weekend to get a bit more crystal research done.


Walking back from a meeting Thursday night, one of my friends spotted this little baby snake sunning themself on the pavement. They look good-sized in the photo, but were actually only about seven or eight inches long. Another of my friends identified it as a Prairie Kingsnake, and said they're a sign that fall is on the way.

I looked them up, and I guess Prairie Kingsnakes are known for eating other snakes, as well as small rodents, lizards, etc. They're constrictors (their bite is harmless), and they're actually immune to Copperhead venom. That being said, baby Kingsnakes are sometimes confused with Copperheads because the markings on their backs are similar. Kingsnakes have round markings, while Copperheads' are hourglass-shaped. Additionally, Kingsnakes have a more oval and less triangular head.

It seems that during the summer, Prairie Kingsnakes are nocturnal, but during the spring and fall, they turn crepuscular (active at dawn and dusk), so I can certainly see how coming across one at twilight could be a sign of autumn.


Not long after seeing my reptilian friend, I saw this little Red Admiral butterfly sunning their wings.

Altogether, it was a good evening for wildlife!

No comments:

Post a Comment