Welcome

Merry Meet, all. Hummingbird, here. 21-year-old eclectic Pagan and witch who works primarily in crystal, warding, and energy magicks. Asexual, with a wonderful girlfriend. I am just beginning to learn the path of Athena. Attending college with end goal of a degree in Interior Design.

This blog is a digitalized record of my life as a Pagan. It includes spells, charms, notes on the properties of various magickal items, and my own personal experiences with my practice. Sometimes I post multiple times a day, sometimes it's once a month.

All are welcome here. Please, make yourself at home, and let me know if I can help you with anything. )0(

Saturday

July 30th, 2016

I'd like to share a cool weather charm I learned to make while in Japan. I used it today, and it worked... well, like a charm!


These little guys are called Teru Teru Bōzu (照る照る坊主), "teru" meaning "shine", and "bōzu" meaning "monk". The ones in the picture above are fairly elaborate, decorative varieties, but the ones I learned to make were quite simple.

You need:
  • Two (2) sheets of paper
    • I used regular printer paper, but cloth or tissue paper is probably more traditional
  • String or a rubber band
  • Marker(s)
  • Other decorations as desired
Begin by taking one sheet of paper and wadding it into a firm ball. Take the second sheet and pull it tightly over the ball to make a sort of ghost shape, with the ball-containing end becoming the head. Tie a string or rubber band around the charm to hold the ball inside the second sheet of paper. (Ever make ghost lollipops for Halloween/Samhain? It's the same principle.) Then draw on a face or otherwise decorate.

These "shining monks" are weather charms which became popular in the Edo period and are still used today. I was taught to make them by some high school students in a Japanese farm town. The Teru Teru Bōzu are hung up outside under the eaves to keep away rain before big outdoor events like school picnics and etcetera. They can also be hung upside-down to invite rain during a dry spell.

We were supposed to have big thunderstorms all day today, but it was my town's annual summer parade and carnival, and I really didn't want the festivities getting rained out. I set out my Teru Teru Bōzu (pictured below), and while we had some pretty dark clouds go by for a while, we never got rained on, and actually had some sun and blue sky by afternoon!


Apparently, there is a traditional nursery rhyme (warabe uta) which can be sung along with their use. I'll add the translation under the YouTube link.


Lyric Translation:

Teru-teru-bozu, teru bozu
Make tomorrow a sunny day
Like the sky in a dream sometime
If it’s sunny I’ll give you a golden bell.

Teru-teru-bozu, teru bozu
Make tomorrow a sunny day
If you make my wish come true
We’ll drink lots of sweet sake.

Teru-teru-bozu, teru bozu
Do make tomorrow a sunny day
but if it’s cloudy and I find you crying
Then I shall snip your head off.

No comments:

Post a Comment