Welcome

Merry Meet, all. Hummingbird, here. 21-year-old eclectic Pagan and witch who works primarily in crystal, warding, and energy magicks. Asexual, with a wonderful girlfriend. I am just beginning to learn the path of Athena. Attending college with end goal of a degree in Interior Design.

This blog is a digitalized record of my life as a Pagan. It includes spells, charms, notes on the properties of various magickal items, and my own personal experiences with my practice. Sometimes I post multiple times a day, sometimes it's once a month.

All are welcome here. Please, make yourself at home, and let me know if I can help you with anything. )0(

Friday

July 17th, 2015

Cite your sources, kids.

No, really. I've spent something like ten solid hours digging through books trying to find all the places where I had gotten info for my Book of Shadows. 12-year-old me couldn't be bothered to write any of that down, and now 19-year-old me is going batty trying to locate the original authors of rituals, spells, etc.

Obviously, one should never take copyrighted material and publish it on the internet unaltered whilst claiming it as one's own. But even if your BOS is only ever going to be seen by your eyes, trust me - sooner or later, you'll want to know where you found something. And when you've read enough books, the number of possible sources gets a little overwhelming. Keeping track of source material ahead of time makes things so much easier down the road.

I just started adding footnotes to my pages. If something was from a book, I noted the title and author. If it was from a website, I noted the username and URL where it could be found. It's simple, and doesn't take up much space. It's also quick, provided you aren't trying to do it all at once seven years after the fact.


There's still some I haven't found yet, so I guess that means I need to make another trip to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment